NC Project Green Logo
building banner



All state agencies are required to recycle under General Statutes 130A-309.14 and Executive Order 156. The EO charges that agencies shall recycle, at a minimum, aluminum cans, glass and plastic containers, office paper, newspaper and corrugated cardboard. Recycling must be provided at locations that routinely host the general public, including highway rest areas, state parks and recreation areas, employment security offices, state historic sites and school sporting events. Agencies that offer food services are encouraged to recycle food waste through composting if feasible.

Click here for a Recycling Toolkit developed to help state and local governments set up a recycling program.

Click here for the Composting Toolkit, a 12-step guide to setting up composting at state facilities.

Recycling Collection Contracts

Capital-Area State Agency Offices

The majority of agency offices located in the Raleigh-area are included under a recycling and solid waste collection program contracted and managed by the Department of Administration’s Facilities Management Division. The contract includes collection of office paper, newspaper, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, glass containers, glossy materials, hardback books and phone books. Corrugated cardboard is also recycled. Facilities Management gathers data from the collection companies and completes the Annual Solid Waste and Recycling Report for agencies in the capital region.

More detailed information regarding this contract can be found at the Division of Facilities Management. You can also contact Patricia Scurlock at Facilities Management at (919) 733-3514. Visit for assistance in organizing and promoting your program.

Remote Agency Offices
If your office is not located in Raleigh, you will be responsible for setting up your own recycling contract. The recycling toolkit above can help you with the steps for setting up your own program.

Depending on the location of your office and the functions of your agency, your waste reduction and recycling opportunities will vary. State agencies are encouraged to work with the their city and county local government offices when developing and implementing their recycling programs. Visit the Local Government Assistance site for contacts at your local government offices. You may also contact Rachel Eckert at (919) 715-6505 for more details.

Other Recycling Programs and Options

State Surplus: The Division of Surplus Property is responsible for the disposal or transfer of all state-owned property. It offers surplus property received from agencies to other agencies in need, or sells to qualified nonprofit organizations and the general public. It also recycles oil and antifreeze, paper, wet cell batteries and computers/monitors.

Correction Enterprises: Agencies must give preference to Department of Correction products in purchasing articles, products and commodities that are needed and that are manufactured or produced within the state prison system and offered for sale. Its product categories include city tags, food products, janitorial products, manpower services, metal products, office seating, oils and lubricants, paints and coatings, printing and quick copy service, reupholstery, safety products, signs, textile products and wood products.

State Term Contracts
: There are a few state contracts that include recycling or were specifically designed to provide recycling for a certain material. One current example is the convenience contract for Electronic Equipment Recycling Services. You can check out its site for more information or if you are interested in requesting assistance.

N.C. Recycling Markets Directory: A detailed listing of local markets for various recyclables and providers, including collection companies.

N.C. Project Green is managed by DENR's
Division of Environmental Assistance and Outreach